How Technology is Transforming Health Care
Technology plays an important role in many aspects of our lives. Similar to the way technology has improved banking or the way we connect with family and friends, digital health is changing the delivery of care. Digital health enables authorized health care providers to quickly access your health information in order to make informed decisions about your care. Digital health can also enable health care providers to see a patient’s complete record, regardless of how many different care teams a patient is seeing. This saves time in making a diagnosis, reduces duplicate tests and enables better patient care decisions.
Digital health can also enable Canadians and their family members to access their own information online, enabling them to view lab results as they become available, confirm their health information is correct and complete, and better understand and manage their condition.
Electronic medical records enable health care providers to more effectively manage patient conditions, such as chronic disease, while access to personal health information empowers patients to become a partner in their care. Digital health can:
- Increase confidence and collaboration through access to your personal health information
- Provide timely access to your health information during emergency situations
- Help you better manage chronic conditions
- Increase accuracy and convenience for patients
- Help your health team make timelier and better informed diagnosis and treatment recommendations
- Provide access to care closer to home for rural and remote communities
Visit Canada Health Infoway to learn more about Canada’s digital health plan.